Monday, June 7, 2010

The Human Figure...

As an artist, my favorite thing to draw or paint is the human figure...right at the moment, I am attempting to get back to just drawing the human form, for no reason other than to be doing so. One of the traps that is easy to fall into when you make your living - such that is is - from art, is that if you are working on something that has nothing to do with sales, you have the uncomfortable feeling that you might be wasting time. However...that is not an accurate measure of ones life as an artist (or singer or writer, or fill in the blank.)

When we put our worth solely in monetary terms we create a trap indeed...we are artists in all forms because we DO...we paint, draw, do computer graphics, sing, play an instrument, write, act, sculpt, throw pottery, make jewelry - and this ACTION is what defines us...not the dollar signs. The passion of our desire to create that which lies within our souls. The act of creation is also what heals us, too.

So, yes, I am working on ideas and work for a show...and it would be nice to see some sales and money - they don't call us starving artists for nothing! However, I am also making space to just do. To just be. To get back to one of my first loves which is drawing and maybe in a bit, painting, the human form. So I will occasionally post here where my wandering brush and pencil are taking me. And you will see me do male figures for a bit...and then switch to female...and if I can, I want to do some that show the dichotomy of being transgender eventually. So this is what I am up to...the pieces here are all mine, oil paint and pencil drawings. Some from life, and some from photographs.

Anybody who wants to comment.
critique or express their thoughts - have at it!
Feed back is always good!







8 comments:

  1. I've always loved your figurative work. I'm going to look forward to this discovery series with great anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're all great, but my fave is the second one (back view of seated woman). Cute bum, perfectly captured! (Yes, I'm shallow but what's your point, LOL?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *grin* Nothing shallow about that, Debra! Works for me! Thanks! And we'll see where it goes, Misbehavin', we'll see where it goes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I find interesting is the continued growth and improvement in your work. When we first met, your art was wonderful. As you've painted at churches, I have seen you refine your style and improve your depth. Since you took classes at Converse, your work has gained even more power. I am, as always, your biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. *blush* Thanks, sweetie! That makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of the works are beautiful,but I'm drawn to the 3rd(mans back) and 4th(seated woman)because you captured incipient movement well with sketches of paint. It's tough to do without over-exaggerating, but you did it.

    If it makes you feel any better, all art everywhere is a waste of time, and so is music, literature, and love. Work, work, work, that's all we're here for. (You know I'm completely full of something with a mud-like consistency)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love you, Skeptic! Thanks, I appreciate what you said about movement...always hard to capture. The challenge is always to keep the looseness which captures the movement and spontaneity and yet create something that is "finished" and real. Thats not necessarily real in the sense of realistic, although it can be...will keep on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous work, my friend! I envy your models.

    ReplyDelete